Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Change of Lifestyle – Part 1

On August 2nd I went to my heart doctor for my annual check-up. Two months later I am lying in the hospital after experiencing a series on TIAs – mini strokes. I had just spent the last two months making a serious life style change to preclude any health issues connected to my high blood pressure and high cholesterol. A life style change that included healthier eating and exercise on a regular basis. That’s what the doc said I needed to stay off the cholesterol meds.

I my next few blog post I am going to look at what I have learned from this experience. I will try to explain how this happened to me, from my understanding of my body and my spirit. I will probably rant a bit on health care in this country. I will share my experiences of the many tests I have went through. In this post I want to set the background for how this all got started.

I am a 56 years old male. On August 2nd I weighed in at 206 lbs, 5 foot and eight inches tall. My BMI was 31+ which put me in the obese group. I am an alcoholic and I quit drinking alcohol three and a half years ago. I smoked between a half a pack to a pack a day.

My general health had been excellent. I do not have a primary care doctor, I hadn’t needed one. I had never been in the hospital other than visits to the ER for a cold, the flu, or a stitch or two due to my own ignorance.

I hadn’t needed any doctors until a year ago when I went to the heart doctor at my wife’s request. That visit to the heart doctor is where this story begins. I my next post I’ll begin the journey that has brought me to where I am now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home